Saturday, July 21, 2012

LOST SOCK SIGN - TUTORIAL

Pinterest is currently one of my favorite online resources. It CAN be a huge time suck if I'm not careful, but it is also full of amazing and adorable ideas for every area of my home and life (I sound like a commercial, right?) Anyhoo, I found something similar to this on Pinterest, but I wanted to make it a bit more...contemporary. The lost sock sign. I think every single home across the United States of America probably has a use for one of these babies.

Cute, right?

Here's what you need to make one yourself:


MATERIALS
Wooden board (new or recycled)
Craft Paint
Mod Podge
Scrapbook paper cut to desired size
Flat-edged tool (I used a pan scraper from Pampered Chef)
Letters (paper, stickers, chip board, etc...these are stickers)
Clothes Pins
Super Glue

METHOD
1. Paint the board in the color of your choice. Let it dry thoroughly.

2. Apply a coat of Mod Podge to the board and lay scrapbook paper down. Smooth it out using your flat-edged tool. Make sure you get all the air bubbles out. Let the Mod Podge dry. Then apply a coat of Mod Podge over the paper. Cover the whole board. Let it dry thoroughly.

3. Place your letters on the sign. If they are stickers, apply a coat of Mod Podge over the top. If they are not stickers, use Mod Podge to stick the letters to the sign then apply a top coat.

4. Decide how many clothes pins you want to include. I used five. Paint the top of each clothes pin the color of your choice. Let the paint dry, then attach them to the board using super glue.

5. To hang the sign, you could use some super glue to attach a ribbon to the board and hang it on a nail. I used four penny nails. Mark the bottom nail placement using a level to make sure they're straight. Hammer the bottom nails into the wall. Set the sign on the nails, and hammer two more nails into the wall just above the sign to hold it in place.

And there ya have it. This is actually a stray sock that was sitting on top of my dryer. I'm already putting my sign to good use.

Thanks for visiting!
Lindsay






No comments:

Post a Comment